Eggplant lasagna Rolls
This beef bourguignon recipe is adapted from one by Julia Child. It’s a traditional French dish normally served during colder seasons.
- 2 Italian eggplants
- 2 cans of whole tomatoes
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 6-10 button mushrooms
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 container of cottage cheese
- 3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- Italian spice blend (if you don’t have thyme, bay leaves, oregano, rosemary)
- Pepper and salt to taste
- Total Time: 75+ min.
- Prep: 30+ min.
- Cook: 30-45 min.
- Cover with buffalo mozzarella and serve with finely chopped basil on top
- Any leftover sauce can be frozen
Recipe provided by cheftroy.ca
If you have any questions, please email Chef Troy Stewart at firstname.lastname@example.org
- In a large pot, drizzle some olive oil and ½ a stick of butter
- Melt butter
- Add in the onion, celery, green pepper and mushrooms in that order
- Don’t keep stirring, throw in spices, let bottom of pot get brown
- Dump in the 2 cans of tomatoes
- Crush tomatoes with hands
- Throw in 2 bay leaves
- Turn pot down to a simmer and cover
- If sauce is too watery, add in tomato paste
- Cut into long, thin strips
- Sprinkle both sides with salt
- Place on a paper towel or rack
- After 10-15 minutes, rinse off salt
- Place on baking tray
- Cover with aluminum foil
- Place in the oven at 350℉ for 10-15 min.
- Remove from the oven
- Put some sauce in the bottom of a lasagna dish or similar
- On one side of the eggplant spoon a think layer of cottage cheese
- Roll the eggplant and then place on its side in the lasagna pan; repeat process until you’ve filled up the pan
- Cover generously with remaining pasta sauce and bake for 30-45 min. in a 350℉ oven.