Lentil Shepherd’s Pie with Sweet Potatoes
Lentil Shepherd’s Pie with Sweet Potatoes is a hearty vegetarian version of the classic Irish/British dish.
- ½ bag of dry lentils
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- Sweet potatoes (1 large or 2 medium)
- 3 cloves of Garlic, chopped
- ½ bunch of parsley, chopped
- 1 large white Onion (Vidalia), diced
- ½ cup to 1 cup Vegetable stock
- Half a head of broccoli
- ½ cup Butter
- Optional: sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Total Time: 60-90 min.
Prep: 30-45 min.
Cook: 30-45 min.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, brush with olive oil and place cut side down on cookie sheet and bake for 30-45 min. If they are soft to the touch, they’re cooked
- Remove potatoes from the oven, remove skin and let cool
- Cool lentils in hot salted water. Test lentils to make sure they don’t get mushy
- Drain lentils, put aside colander and let cool
- Put all of the vegetables, garlic, parsley and put in big pot. Add in a tsp. of cumin and a tsp. of turmeric. Add chilli powder to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Put mixture aside.
- Take the same pot that lentils were cooked in and put in potatoes with butter and a little bit of vegetable stock. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mash up.
- In a lasagne pan, drizzle a little bit of oil and coat pan. Mix the cooled lentils in with the vegetables and stir well.
- Put mixture in lasagna pan and smooth it out. Spoon sweet potato mixture over top
- Add salt and pepper to season
- Optional: sprinkle liberally with cheese
- Put into oven for 30-45 min.
- I like to put thin slices of fresh jalapeno
- You can also sprinkle non-flavoured breadcrumbs for a little crunch
- Add a little bit of vegetable stock to soften up lentils
Recipe provided by cheftroy.ca
If you have any questions, please email Chef Troy Stewart at email@example.com